Saturday, November 9, 2013

Childhood Apraxia of Speech.

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staffChildhood apraxia of speech (CAS) is an uncommon speech disorder in which a child has difficulty making accurate movements when speaking. It's important to know that CAS is just a label for a speech disorder.
To speak correctly, your child's brain has to learn how to make plans that tell his or her speech muscles how to move the lips, jaw and tongue in ways that result in accurate sounds and words. Your child's brain also plans these movements so that he or she speaks with normal speed and rhythm.
In childhood apraxia of speech, the brain struggles to develop plans for speech movement. As a result, children with CAS don't learn accurate movements for speech with normal ease. In CAS, the speech muscles aren't weak, but they don't perform normally because the brain has difficulty directing or coordinating the movements.

This last summer we finally got a diagnosis for Liams speech, and as you can see he has CAS.  It is not very common and it didn't come as a surprise to us but was still very disheartening when we found out.

 From the time Liam turned two Scotty was convinced this is what Liam had but with his speech pathologist and teachers at preschool they told us we should wait till he was a little older and see if his speech picked up in the next 6 months or so.  He improved a little but I was having such a hard time because I could only understand less then half of what he was saying to me.  There is nothing more frustrating then not being able to help your child because you can't understand them.  And sadly even harder for him.  He thinks he is saying his words correctly and tries so hard but we were all struggling.  Then to see him to have a word mastered then the next day not be able to say it or form his mouth the right way was devastating.  It was also hard to hear that he would have years of therapy but we had an answer and a way to help him learn.  Of course what comes natural for kids as young as one, Liam has to memorize through repetition and practice to form his mouth the right way to say and combine every sound. 

After searching it online I quickly realized how blessed we are.  All though it is difficult it can always be worse.  There are kids who have apraxia not only with their speech but with the mouth movements.  There is another boy who goes to Liams speech therapy place with CAS who could not even open his mouth to form words.  Liam is motivated to get it right and works so hard.  He can say all of his sounds but has a hard time with the first consonant in words, but like I said wants people to understand him so works so hard. 

Of course with anything the success of the kids depends a lot on their support at home.  I adore this little boy and work every sentence out that he tries to tell me.  We have therapy sessions twice a day where we do drills, and Lilly and Barrick are a big help too. When Liam says a word the wrong way they help him correct it.  Also one perk about Scotty being a pediatrician is we have a lot of resources and we have found a lot of programs and apps that have done wonders for Liam and for us. 

It has been amazing to see Lilly and Liam together.  I think it is a twin thing but whenever I have a hard time understanding Liam I ask Lilly.  She understands almost everything he says.  Their little spirits came here together and they truly have a special bond and I am so grateful for that.  Liam protects Lilly and she helps people understand him.

 
 

 Despite this set back in his life nothing stops this little boy!!  He is extremely smart!!  He is such a sweet little boy and is a magnet for people.  I worry so much about what other kids will be like with him.  But his little spirit shines right through those stumbling words and he is loved.  I cannot tell you how many moms have come up to me and told me how their little girl in either his church or school class talk about Liam all the time.  He is so sweet and is so loving to everyone.  I feel so blessed to have him in our family.  We love you Liam BOY!!

No comments: