Sunday, November 3, 2013

CHICAGO!! Ten years down!

Our ten year Anniversary was the end of September, so we decided to take a trip to Chicago for the week with just the two of us.  It was more then amazing and everything we hoped it would be.  Crazy to think we have been married ten years.
 The day when it all began September 27, 2003.
 The day of our anniversary it was a typical day.  Barrick on the bus, preschool drop off for the twins, grocery store, gym, pick up twins.  But to my surprise in between grand rounds and clinic Scotty came home cleaned the house and left me some flowers!
 
Then a couple weeks later it was off to Chicago.
 
I have so many pictures and many more that I could post but need to limit myself!  So the First part is
 
Sights:
 
 
 
 There are so many amazing sights to see.  Here we are on a river taxi.  It was so beautiful the sun was setting it was a little chilly and it was one of the few things that were a must for me.

 Along with their being a Professional Football, Hockey game, and it being Columbus day with parades downtown, it was also the Chicago Marathon while we were there.  It was unreal how many people were there from all over the world.  I LOVED the hustle and bustle!!  It was so much fun to be there during one of the biggest marathons in the world! 
 
 Here are some of the people from the Columbus day parade.  There were floats and businesses representing countries from all over the world.


The Blue bikes as we referred to them were so much fun!  You paid a flat fee and could ride the bikes all day. There are stations all over the city, but you could only have them for 30 minutes at a time before you had to drop it at the next station.  We rode along the shore and through out the city.  I have to admit I was pretty scared riding on the streets with cars but got used to it pretty quickly.  
 
Of course you cant go without seeing Millennial park. 

The famous bean!


 

 
 We also got to sit back and enjoy a protest.  It was CRAZY  hundreds of people in masks, screaming with signs, and a big microphone.  They were protesting GMO.
 
 
 
 Navy Pier.

 Here we are at the Willis Tower.  Pretty amazing!!  It is very similar to the Empire State Building in New York other then the glass room that you can stand in.  I like heights but for some reason standing in the glass box made me very nervous.



Scotty obviously had no problem with it.
 
Museums:

 They have some pretty amazing Museums.  Our favorite by far was the Field Museum, it had so much to see but we hit the highlights and called it a day.
3D movie about the Ice Age.
This is the section where we really missed our kids.  They had you shrink to bug size so all the insects were huge!  Barrick would have LOVED this.
 

 Everyone says a must when going to Chicago is the Art Institute of Chicago.  Everyone raves about it.  Were we impressed yes, but wouldn't be at the top of our list. 
 It was pretty cool to see world famous art!!


 But Scotty and I were a little confused by the modern art.  Honestly maybe we needed some more art appreciation classes, but we just couldn't see how you can compare the two.
 
We also went to the zoo and the Shedd Aquarium.
 
Food:

 If I could I would post all of the pictures of our food.  We had the most amazing food!!  We made a deal that every place we went we would try one of the craziest things on the menu.  We ate every kind of meat and body part/organs you can think of.  It was all amazing!  I think we were just as excited for the food as we were for the vacation!!  What can I say I LOVE FOOD!!
 Of course along with the crazy food we had the traditional Chicago style hotdog, and Deep dish Chicago style pizza. 

 This soups was one of my favorites!  I don't know why I had never tried this but this beat soup was so delicious!
This was our last night in Chicago and we had such a wonderful meal at MK.  It was such a fun night 7 course meal and this fun dessert to end the night!


 The Girl and the Goat had my favorite thing we ate in Chicago.  It was the Goat empanada's seriously amazing!! 
 
Entertainment:

We planned some fun nights with some amazing entertainment.  Here we are at Once the musical.  Once is known for how amazing the music is and it did not disappoint.  We were on the 10th row and the theatre was so beautiful!
 


 Blue Man Group was so fun!!  We have been to Vegas so many times and passed up on this show and honestly it was the best show we saw there.  So clever and hilarious.  I would for sure go again!
We also went to a Thirties dinner theatre set in Chicago.  It was a fun night and they recognized us on stage for having our 10 year anniversary. 

 Boyce Avenue Concert was so packed, and standing only which made me feel like I was back in High school for some reason.   All though I think I enjoyed the pre-show more.  The girl who sings Titanium opened the show and I really enjoyed her music.
We had such an amazing week!  I am so lucky to have Scotty as my best friend and husband!  Last we couldn't have done this without my mom being willing to come out here and watch the kiddos.  Thanks mom you are the BEST!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am SO glad you had so much fun!! I loved it there. It looks like a lot of fun without kids!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! what a great trip!!