The Tuesday before Thanksgiving I had a surgery to have a cystoscopy with Lithotripsy to remove two large kidney stones. I had things all set in place and ready to go, Scotty had half the day off to take me and bring me home from the hospital. (Don't worry even though he wasn't seeing patients he got a bunch of training done at the hospital while I was in surgery, work for him never stops! Poor guy). Plus I had the kids all at different friends houses who were wonderful enough to watch the kiddos for us.
The surgery went well, and other then the fact that I had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia (which I always do) things were great. I went home a little sore and had wonderful friends show up and take my kids Wednesday so I could get a little more rest because Scotty could only take the day of surgery off. The rest of the weekend was fine, off and on pain but nothing terrible. The thing that made it the hardest is the stint they have to leave inside so you can pass any residual stones or fragments. So I was looking forward to Monday to have that removed because they are very uncomfortable!
Well Monday came and I had it removed and felt like a different person, so much better!! I was planning on going to the gym the next day because I had the okay to get back to working out. Scotty happened to be working a 30 hour shift this day so the kids and I had a great night we got a lot of cleaning done and watched a fun Christmas movie. Then after I put the kids to bed I started having some pain in my kidney which was totally normal, then it went from a little pain to EXCRUCIATING pain. Pain I have NEVER experienced before. I have a high pain tolerance so to feel like this really scared me. It was so bad I couldn't drive myself to the ED so I called Scotty and the residents he was working with were nice enough to let him leave for a couple of hours to take me to the hospital.
Well, after pulling the stint out it caused my ureter to spasm and close off some basically making it feel like I was passing kidney stones, but it was constant. I was then in pain like this until Thursday, and by Friday was feeling somewhat better. Well to say I was in a drug induced state is an understatement, Percocet, Morphine, Motrin, and many more, made for a very long week!
On top of being in the worst pain I have ever been in Scotty had to work two back to back 30 hour shifts which basically left me all on my own. I honestly cant remember a lot of it, I am so sensitive to narcotics so it is all kind of a haze, but here are the highlights. Two huge Lilly bloody noses, the kind where she walks down from her room and tracks blood from the upstairs corner of the house down the stairs and into the bathroom on the main floor.
You also know it is bad when the Pajamas she is wearing is those that belong to a friend and I was forced to pull out of the return bag because you have no clean pajamas for her to wear. (Sorry Kristi, I did get all the blood out)
Also Briony got some stomach bug and I woke up to a very happy smiling baby but went to get her and she, her bed, and the floor outside of her crib was covered in throw up. Another day Briony woke up in the morning and I got her out of her crib and she was playing in her room then I heard crying and she came downstairs and had an explosive diarrhea that was dripping out of her diaper as she like Lilly walked from her upstairs bedroom down to the main floor. So to say our little Bissell was put to good use is an understatement.
We also had nasty colds, with goopy eyes, fevers, soar throats and a lot of sleepless nights. Add two kids with asthma and a lot of breathing treatments and it is no fun!
This kid was the only one not affected. Thank goodness.
Liam and I are going through the cold right now, no fun!!
But with all of these terrible things I cannot tell you how blessed I was. When you don't live by family times like these are stressful but you are also reminded that the friends that we have are our family away from family. I cannot tell you the number of people who helped out. Driving my kids to and from preschool, Liams speech, bringing dinner, getting Barrick on and off the bus, taking my kids and watching them so I could rest or go back to the ED. Sleeping at our house and helping me get the kids ready in the morning. I could go on and on. I am truly blessed to have such amazing friends. For all those that did help I had that many more text or call and ask to help out. It really brought me (and my mom) to tears to see how many people stepped in and helped me during a really difficult time. So to all of you THANK YOU so much we are so grateful for each and everyone of you.
To end on a positive note, on Scottys post call day he made ginger bread houses with the kids. They had such a good time! I was present but very drugged up so I don't remember much:)
Here they are with the finished product. To say our kids have personality is an understatement. They are a little crazy but that is how we like it!
Close up of the house!
You cant forget about the S for Stewarts. (Barricks idea).
So even though these past two weeks were bad, like everything in life the hard times pass and you look forward to good things! (like Christmas and fun parties)
2 comments:
Oh my! Friends that are family are great. I love your positive attitude.
Oh Aleese that is a crazy hard couple of weeks. Goodness sakes alive. 3 cheers for wonderful angles that helped you guys out. Stay healthy! Thats an order!!
Post a Comment