Friday, February 27, 2009

Our fate has been told!

This last Wednesday was Scottys lottery day and wow was I nervous! At his school, for third year of medical school all students are finally put into the hospitals and they do different rotations in each area of medicine. They each receive a number for each change of rotation. We came out with pretty good numbers considering the track we wanted to start with. Then they split his class into double and single tracks where one group starts the longer rotations first (surgery or internal medicine) and the second half starts the shorter rotations (family medicine, Obgyn, ect.) Well Wednesday I packed Barrick up and drove down with my friend so we could be there. When they do the lottery everyone in his group sits in a lecture hall and they just put your name and number up and you choose what is available. Most Medical schools have you do most of your rotations at the hospital that is affiliated with your school. With Scottys school they are all over the US. So to say I was nervous is an understatement.

Well here is the final results.


Drum roll please.....






  • rotation 1- Honolulu, Hawaii Psychiatry
  • rotation 2-Las Vegas, Nevada Family Medicine
  • rotaion 3- Dayton, Ohio Internal Medicine Inpatient
  • rotation 4- Washington DC (NNMC)Internal Medicine Outpatient
  • rotation 5- Washingtion DC (NNMC)Pediatrics
  • rotation 6- Washington DC (Washington Hospital) Obgyn
  • rotation 7- Washington DC (Walter Reed) Surgery

So if anyone wants to come visit us in Hawaii, or Vegas, we well be in Hawaii for 6 weeks, then in Vegas for four. I will be stopping in Utah for a couple of weeks then driving down to Vegas for the last part of his rotation. Then I am coming home!! I will probablly go up to Dayton for maybe a week but I need to come home after that. So there you have it, it is so nice to know where we are going and to start planning for next year. We are very excited!

24 comments:

FRANK AND HEATHER MAILE said...

Congrats that's awesome! I'm sure you'll love your adventures...and what a perfect time to float around...you and Barrick can explore all day! Love you guys!

An amazingly handsome couple with their even more beautiful children, if possible, and their daily adventures. said...

Still bummed about Dayton. I wish I could see Barrick. Trying to be positive but I get upset about these things for a few days, overeat some serious chocolate, cry, whine to Austin and then I'm good. I'll leave a post in a few days when the chocolate binge has subsided. Until then, still hoping for a trade. ;)

Bentleys said...

YEAH!!! When you drive to Vegas you should stop in St George and I will take you to lunch! Pizza Factory of course!! hee hee!!! So glad you know what is going on and lucky you in Hawaii!!!

karin said...

I would be totally nervous too. Hawaii will be great. Vegas is nice because it is close to home (and close enough that you could come here to go to Disneyland before you have to start paying for Barrick).

Kellen said...

Congratulations Scotty! You are pretty lucky to be able to go Hawaii for rotations. Our lottery, we have choices of Minnesota, Michigan, Casper Wyoming, Ohio and quite a few places in Iowa including Des Moines. I really wish I was in your shoes right now. I just finished Micro and started Path along with all the other fun classes....Bookwork, will it ever end?!

Tiff and Chris said...

How exciting! Good to know where you'll be so you can plan and feel more in control. Good luck!

Melissa said...

Wait...hold the phone! When are you going to be in Vegas??? We are moving there this summer! Seriously that would rock if we could hang out. Let me know!

Alaina Nelson said...

w! I can't believe that his school send students all over the place like that! But lucky you get to go to Hawai! I'lll bet yoiur tan is going to be BEAUTIFUL! And you get to visit home and family. Congrats :)

Eric and Jenny said...

That's exciting, we had some friends in KY in medical school but they just stayed there the entire four years, did they just luck out or do different schools do things differently? Though I think that sounds fantastic, it's like a ton of mini vacations for you and Barrick anyway. I am glad it worked out well for you!

lulu said...

wow! That would make me nervous to. Especially the fact that Scott could go anywhere in the U.S. It sounds like you're pretty happy with the results. Awesome! Hawaii sounds like fun.
When is Scott taking the first board exam?

Angie said...

Wow you guys are going to move around a lot. That will be a lot of fun. Hawaii will be way fun.

Mrs Abbott said...

Congrats!!!! I so want to visit you guys in Hawaii!

shauni said...

Yeah! Hawaii will be awesome, and I'm so glad he will be in D.C. for most of his rotations. WHat month will you be in Vegas? If we are in Utah I would love to drive out and see you guys. Do you know when you will be in Utah? We will have to scope out Dayton when we are there for Spring break.

Thiago & Teri said...

Oh my heck...I really had no idea how medical school works, but I didn't know it was like that. WOW...that is a whole lot of moving around, but you guys got some awesome places in there. I so admire you graduate students, that is just a whole lot of work and sacrifice but it will for sure pay off in the end.

Jen said...

That's so exciting to finally know what you'll be doing next year. What an adventure with all those new places. Good luck to both of you!

hoLLY said...

oh my how exciting! thats awesome! those are two great places to be! Hawaii and Vegas, sweet! how fun, good luck, hope to see you guys soon!!

Nicole said...

Yea!! That is totally awesome...I am way jealous of Hawaii, but how fun for you!! Too bad you won't be living next to your awesome neighbors for a while though....

Nick and Stacey said...

Holy Cow! Fun but crazy! THat will be one exciting year for you guys, and all that traveling I am sure will make it go by so fast! Good Luck, besides who could complain about Hawaii Right! ;)

The Martin's said...

That's awesome!! Hawaii??? That seriously would be so cool!! I'd love to get together with you when your in Utah if you have time! (I know how visits go so no worries if you don't!).

Jamie said...

I have a friend who has been trying to get pregnant for 6 years. They just found out the only way they can do it is through IVF. I was wondering is that the grant program with the U that you did? Could you tell me more information about it and who I would have her contact? Thanks!! If you want to email its dizzyvertigo@Hotmail.com Congrats on the rotations!!

JWolfgramm said...

Congrats!! So exciting!!! Hawaii? Vegas?? So fun! Good luck with everything. Make sure you keep your blog updated!!!

Rick said...

Wow! That is so fun! You guys must have had some awesome numbers! Congrats! Rick might actually be in Dayton at the same time as Scotty. They will have to hang out sometime. Maybe we could drive down together and see them!

Johnstun Fam said...

Thats so exciting! I had no idea thats how it worked with Medical School! Have fun in Hawaii and Vegas and everywhere in between.

Jamie said...

Thank you Aleese!! This is my friend that is having the problems. Just by your advice, she may now be able to have one!! http://www.wilkersonivffund.blogspot.com/